January 09, 2022
Most people usually associate loss of hair or thinning of hair with men, but many women suffer from hair loss as well, due to a wide variety of conditions. Most women who notice thinning hair do so in their 50s and 60’s but hair loss can occur at any age.
Your hair grows in three distinct cycles:
One: Growth phase - lasts anywhere from two to eight years. For most people, hair grows at a rate of about six inches a year. At any one time, about 90% of your hair is in this phase. The remaining 10% of your hair is in the next two phases:
Two: Transition phase - lasts from two to three weeks. During this phase, the hair follicles shrink.
Three: Resting phase - lasts from two to four months. In this phase, the hair rests and neither grows nor experiences follicle shrinkage.
Symptoms of Hair Loss in Women
Normally, women will lose about 50 to 100 strands of hair in a day, with a bit more on days you wash your hair. Unless you are planning on counting every hair you lose (just kidding!) you’ll need to rely on other measures to tell you when your hair is thinning. You may notice hair on your pillow when you wake up in the morning or see a larger amount of hair in your comb or brush. Unlike men, whose hair tends to recede from the front or the crown, women’s hair loss is on the top third to half of the scalp.
For most of us, thinning hair is quite distressing. The first thing to do if you notice your hair is thinning is to look for an underlying cause. Hair loss in women usually falls into one of three categories: an underlying medical condition, hormonal changes due to menopause or a hereditary predisposition.
Medical causes can include pregnancy, thyroid disorders, anemia, autoimmune diseases, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and some skin conditions which can affect the scalp such as seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. Of course, undergoing chemotherapy for cancer often causes temporary and expected hair loss.
Extreme physical or emotional stress can also be to blame, such as after major surgery, or an intense illness. Even taking to much Vitamin A can be the culprit.
Sometimes, inadvertent damage to the hair, such as overly tight braids or cornrows, or harsh chemical treatment is to blame.
Hair loss in menopause can happen due to changes in hormones and proteins like a decreases in estrogen, progesterone and collagen production. Simply put, lower levels of estrogen and progesterone causes hair to grow more slowly and become thinner. Decreased levels of collagen cause a deterioration of the skin’s dermal health which is where hair follicles are located. A weaker dermis means follicles are not well supported and you see a deterioration in hair.
Finally, your hair loss may be genetic if your mother, aunts, or grandmothers suffered from the same type of hair loss.
Treatment for Hair Loss in Women
If you believe you are losing more hair than is normal, you might consider seeing your doctor to rule out an underlying medical condition. Many times, once that condition is treated, your hair will start to regrow.
If your hair loss is related to menopause, a high-quality marine collagen can help improve hair health. When you take a marine collagen supplement, it helps to restore collagen levels in the dermis and that builds a healthier more nutrient-rich environment for your hair follicles. The result that many people see an improvement in hair health.
If you have hereditary hair thinning, more than likely the hair itself is healthy, but genes are not on your side in this case.
Here are four ways to support your hair:
One - Shampoo and condition your hair only when it’s dirty, to avoid unnecessary breakage. Use a good shampoo and volumizing conditioner to keep your hair looking its best.
Two -Consult with your hairdresser to find a style that suits thinning hair. Avoid putting high heat from a hairdryer directly onto your hair and avoid curling irons and flat irons.
Three - If your hair is healthy but thin, semi-permanent, or permanent hair color when professionally applied, can give your hair body and volume.
Four - Your hair is made up of the protein keratin, and several of the amino acids which make up keratin can be found in our DeepMarine Collagen, providing you with the building blocks your body needs to grow new hair. Marine collagen, in particular, has been shown to fight the free radicals that can damage hair follicles.
February 29, 2024Read More
February 22, 2024Read More
February 16, 2024Read More